Sunday, May 13, 2012

Renal tubular acidosis

 common USMLE topic

Non anion gap metabolic acidosis


Type 1:
Distal RTA
Failure of H+ secretion by the α intercalated cells of distal tubes
There's hypokalaemia
Met. acidosis is severe, more alkaline urine >5.3
May be associated with urolithiasis , rickets

Type 2:
Proximal RTA.
e.g Fanconi syndrome (prox tubular cell dysfunction)
Failure of  HCO3− reabsorption from the urine by the proximal tubular cells
There's hypokalaemia. Also associated with rickets
Met acidosis is less severe because distal tubular function is normal. urine PH<5.3

Type 4:
No aldosterone (Addisson's disease,ACEIs,ARBs,DM nephropathy,Sickle cell nephropathy)
or
Na/K pump not responding to aldosterone (NSAID nephropathy,CKD,)
There's hyperkalaemia, hyponatremia, hyperchloraemia
urine PH<5.3. . Met. acidosis is mild

2 comments:

  1. this is a great little summary, to the point! thanx for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless Dr. USELU for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS since 2018 and I was taking my medications, I wasn't satisfied i needed to get the HERPES out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HERPES i saw a comment about Dr. USELU , how he cured HERPES with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine within 3 days. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 2weeks later i was cured from HERPES contact him via email (dr.uselucaregiver@gmail.com) once again thanks to you Dr. USELU cure the flowing virus, contact his email or add him on whatsapp (+2349019328641) cancer cure
    diabetes cure
    ringing ear
    herpes cure
    warts cure
    HPV cure
    HIV cure
    get your ex back
    pregnancy herbal medicine
    Hepatitis  

    ReplyDelete